Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Grandpa Donahue and his Song

Garden Angel
my grandfather - Larry Donahue - had a zest for life.  he lived large - dreaming big dreams, enjoying coffee in the morning and the rest of the day every kind of food imaginable, making up stories and silly songs to share with anyone who would listen, loving passionately - his God, his wife, his children, his grandchildren and all those who were in his pastoral care.  my "grandpa" also sang loudly and worshipped and danced with abandon.  his favorite song to sing was a hymn, "In the Garden".  he especially loved singing the song when one of his daughters was expertly playing the piano behind him.
"i come to the garden alone
while the dew is still on the roses
and the voice i hear falling on my ear
the Son of God discloses
and He walks with me
and He talks with me
and He tells me i am His own
and the joy we share as we tarry there
none other has ever known
grandpa, i know you are walking with grandma in that garden today.  enjoy your stroll - someday i'll join the two of you and we will sing your favorite song together.

No comments:

Post a Comment