Wednesday, July 30, 2014

sense of wonder

during my childhood, one of my favorite saturday activities (especially on those long, cold winter days) was when my Dad would take me and my two brothers to the the public library located in downtown Idaho Falls.  i loved everything about the library;  the smell of the paper, the rustle of the books as they were slowly being turned, the opening and closing of the card catalogue, and looking at all the different people who visited the library (yes - i was an avid people watcher at a young age).  but, the thing i loved the most about the library were all the exciting adventures that awaited me each time i discovered and experienced reading a new book.

i first came into contact with my favorite childhood books when i was 10.  i was in fifth grade when i discovered, tucked neatly away among the myriad shelves of books, a treasure trove - C.S. Lewis and his "Chronicles of Narnia".  as i started reading "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," my fondest dream was to try to find "the" wardrobe wherein i could take one step inside and instantly be transported into the magical realm of Narnia - i admit i still think it would be exciting if i could step through "the" magical wardrobe into the land of Narnia. 


art journaling

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader"

"It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy.  "It's you, we shan't meet you there.  And how can we live, never meeting you?"
"But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
"Are - are you there too sir?" said Edmund.
"I am," said Aslan.  "But there I have another name.  You must learn to know me by that name.  This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little while, you may know me better there."

no matter what age we find ourselves chronologically, we should never lose our sense of wonder, our love of discovery and our adventurous spirit.  in becoming childlike, once again we can open our hearts more fully to God and know Him in a more intimate way.

never lose your sense of wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment